IntellecTech Law is a non-profit think tank and a virtual forum for reviewing and analyzing ground-breaking legal developments in Intellectual Property, Technology, Media, Telecom, Privacy and Competition Laws. We strive to not limit ourselves but look at the most challenging issues in the intersection of these subjects with other subject areas as well.
- Facial Recognition Technology & Data Protection: Analysis of the Council of Europe’s New GuidelinesPosted on February 18, 2021 Authored by Melita Tessy* Introduction On 28 January 2021, the Council of Europe published the Guidelines for Facial Recognition (“Guidelines”) in consultation with the ‘Consultative Committee Of The Convention For The Protection Of Individuals With Regard To Automatic Processing Of Personal Data’ (“Consultative Committee”). These Guidelines were issued further to […]
- CCI Study on the Telecom Market – Key ObservationsPosted on February 8, 2021 Authored by Rushil Anand* On 22nd January 2021, Competition Commission of India (“CCI”) published the “Market Study On The Telecom Sector In India” (“Study”). The study, initiated in January 2020, analyses the telecom sector from an antitrust perspective in the wake of the significant development the sector has witnessed in […]
- Competition Overlaps in the Indian Ports Bill – CCI and the Maritime Ports TribunalPosted on January 26, 2021 Authored by Rushil Anand* Introduction The Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways recently issued the draft of the Indian Ports Bill, 2020 (“Bill”) for public consultation. The Bill aims to enable growth and development of the ports and ensure proper utilization of country’s coastline, which has been marred by a […]
- A Retrospective Analysis of India’s Proposal to Ban Trading in CryptocurrencyPosted on January 21, 2021 Authored by Melita Tessy* Introduction To many in the Fintech sector, the 2018 circular of the Reserve Bank of India (“RBI”), purportedly banning trade in virtual currencies would’ve come off as a rather unpleasant surprise. This is because, the RBI had published in 2015, the “Financial Stability Report” and the […]
- Data Localization Versus Free Flow of Cross Border Data Transfers in IndiaPosted on January 7, 2021 Co-authored by Tanya Varshney and Varun Anand* Introduction In simple terms, ‘data localization’ means storage of data within the local limits of the jurisdiction of the data subject. With the challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic, people are using online services across the world and connecting with others in many […]
- AI and the Future of Human-Judges: Theorising the Role of AI in Legal InterpretationPosted on December 23, 2020 Authored by Aditya Krishna* Introduction With the advent of the 21st century, technology began to develop in leaps and bounds, leading to the eventual creation of a plethora of AI or Artificial-intelligence applications and solutions. It has been forecasted in a study by the Stanford University in 2016 that over […]
- Uber and Viacom’s E-Contract Disputes: Judicial Outlook on Click-Wrap and Browse-Wrap AgreementsPosted on December 16, 2020 Authored by Tanya Varshney* It is an established principal of contract law across jurisdictions that, regardless of the form of the contract, certain essentials such as offer, acceptance, capacity to contract, consideration, etc. should be met. Unlike e-mail where parties have several exchanges of written communications, click-wrap agreements such as […]
- News Corner: Belgian Data Protection Authority and DNS Belgium To Take Down Websites Violating GDPRAlleged data protection violation? Your “.be” domain name could be taken down! The Belgian Data Protection Authority (the “Belgian DPA”) published on 30 November 2020 a Cooperation Agreement with DNS Belgium, the organization managing the “.be” country code top-level domain name. This Agreement allows DNS Belgium to make unavailable “.be” websites that violate the General […]
- News Corner: Bombay High Court Rules on Pre-Grant Patent OppositionsOn 5 November 2020, the Bombay High Court delivered its judgment in the case of Dhaval Diyora v Union of India WRIT PETITION (L) NO.3718 OF 2020. The Court deliberated whether a pre-grant opposition can be filed with the Controller of Patents and Design for the purpose of opposing a patent application appealed before the […]
- Competition Law
- Intellectual Property
- Media & Entertainment
- News Corner
© IntellecTech Law 2020
The opinions expressed herein are those of the contributors in their personal capacity and do not, in any way or manner, reflect the views of the organizations that the contributors are presently associated with, or that have previously employed or retained the contributors. Postings on this blog are for informational purposes only. Nothing herein shall be deemed or construed to constitute legal or investment advice. Discussions on, or arising out of this, blog between contributors and other persons shall not create any attorney-client relationship.
Many of the links on this blog will take you to sites operated by third parties. The contributors of this blog have not reviewed all of the information on these sites or the accuracy or reliability of any information, data, opinions, advice, or statements on these sites. The contributors do not endorse these sites, or opinions they may offer. It is also possible that some of the pages linked may become inactive after the lapse of a period of time.